In one of my author Facebook groups a friend asked the question today who are your favorite characters you’ve created. It got me thinking. It’s hard to choose favorites, kind of like choosing your favorite child.
All of my fictional children are dear to me, but still after a bit of though I came up with a list of five.
- All-time favorite – Gromer the Green – my wild Welsh warlock that I created originally for Argentum (P.A.W.S. 2) and keeps coming back because I love him so much. His love story with Caradog is probably also my favorite relationship I’ve ever created. The love between the two is so genuine and perfect it almost makes me cry.
- Doris – my psychotic vacuu-droid that I created for my story in Sins of the Future. Probably the most fun character to write ever. I read the story allowed for an event about a year ago and reading that kind of crazy was awesome. You can read a little of Doris’s story on this site.
- Griddlebone – This genetically modified werecat was also originally created for an anthology (Sins of the Past) but his story linked with the Holocaust was only partly told in that tale and Griddlebone became the glue that bound book 3 of my series (Umbrae) together. Even though I write YA I have a tendency to place a lot of emphasis on my older characters with more experience in this world and Griddlebone is definitely one ot the best I’ve created. Sign up for my newsletter to read Griddlebone’s story for free.
- The Tegs – Stella and Morgana. My evil green fairies are probably the funnest of all my characters to write.
- Shirley the Camel – this one I created for my mum who passed away a year ago. It came about because my mum even in the hot Israeli heat never needed more than a sip or two of water at a time. So I joked that she was a camel and then I created her character and put her in the zoo in London where she could watch her soap operas and make her scones.
I really have to stop at 5 – well so be it, but there are so many more — Joey the animagus kangaroo, Xavier the wereduck, Ian the chimp and of course my villain, Alistair.
I’d love to hear from you. If you’ve read any of my books and stories who is your favorite character?