Today on Paws 4 Thought we are happy to invite Diana Warren. Diana’s story is told by Leah Chiasson in Marked for the Hunt available on Amazon.
- Welcome Diana. So happy you could join us. Now let’s get started. Tell us what was it like growing up as a werewolf?
- Well, you see, I’m not exactly a werewolf. I am actually something called Faoladh, a hybrid between human and fae. Say it with me: FOW-LUH. You got this. Everything I’d been promised as a child, safety and protection within the Clan, was a lie. I learned that lesson pretty quickly. After I got away from that, I was forced to learn to live as a Clan-less wolf. No wolves were to be trusted, but there were a lot less of them out West than there were back in Wolf’s Head, that was for sure.
- So what made you leave your pack?
- The all-consuming fear that I was next. My father was killed when I was fourteen and there was no question that I was next on his list. It was sheer luck in the events that followed that allowed me to survive. The only option after that was to pack up and leave. If I wasn’t there, I wasn’t in that man’s way. As much as he would have liked to kill me for the fun of it, I think being out of his way was fine with him, too.
- Why are you returning now?
- My grandfather, the man that assumed the role of Alpha after my father’s death, had passed. It’s hard to believe that such a stout old man keeled over from old age. I didn’t think that was possible for faoladh.
- What’s the hardest part of being a werewolf (Faoladh)?
- It’s a toss up. On one hand, I have this beast inside of me with her own thoughts and desires and fears that I can barely handle at times. On the other hand, I never feel entirely safe. There are other clan-less wolves out there, looking to get me off their supposed territory or want to play with me for their own shits and giggles.
- What’s the most fun part?
- What’s your favorite food?
- By default, I guess I’d have to say chocolate. It does something to our systems, helps calm our beast nature. Then again, nothing beats a serving of really good mashed potatoes. They’re the freaking best comfort food. Instant is good in a pinch, but my Aunt Magda makes the meanest bowl of mashed potatoes that I’ve had the pleasure of running off with on Thanksgiving day.
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you choose?
- Somewhere there isn’t a magical community. Can you imagine the quiet, normal kind of life that would lead to? If you know where I might be able to find such a place, drop me a line.
- Do you listen to music? If so what kind? Who’s your favorite artist/band?
- I prefer metal and alt-rock most of the time. Some like to call my tastes a little cliché or dated, but that’s why I always invest in ear buds, right? I love to listen to Avenged Sevenfold, Stone Sour, and Rise Against. Out of all of them, Stone Sour might be my favorite band.
- Who would you prefer to be the next Clan Alpha?
- I wish I could have seen what my father could have accomplished. I wish I could have seen what kind of man he would become over the years. There should have been safety, and maybe even growth, with him. It breaks my heart to think that his time was cut short, but I’m glad he isn’t here to see what kind of mess I’ve become.
- Anything else you wish more folk understood about werewolves?
- Not all of us are evil. It’s the greed of the human in us that makes us do the awful things that we do. It’s the greed of the human that pushes us to kill for power. Not the beast in us.
You can read more of Diana’s story in Marked For the Hunt available on Amazon.
For the last three years I’ve participated in the A to Z challenge over on my sister page – Paws 4 Puzzles. This year for a change I’ve decided to participate on this blog (but will occasionally add some puzzles over on the other site.)
Those of you who have picked up Umbrae (P.A.W.S. 3) may have noticed a character list at the back of the book. Three books into the P.A.W.S. Saga and I have a lot of characters. So I thought why not make this this year’s theme for the Blogging from A to Z.
So join me on April 1st for the ABC of the characters from P.A.W.S.
Kieran’s job of being a guardian angel is straightforward: observe and learn—and don’t intervene in their lives. But then he watches as his first charge dies at the hands of evil while he does nothing to help.
Overcome with grief and doubt, Kieran flees back to the safety of heaven. With guidance from his mentor, he learns all he can about the Battle of the Fallen and the creation of evil itself. With renewed determination, he vows he will save the Ordinaries in his care.
The rules of being a guardian angel have not changed, but Kieran has. Returning to earth, only Kieran knows how essential it is to find and protect one 17-year-old girl. The girl who can thwart the Devil’s escape from his prison and the start of Armageddon.
Preorder your copy today! Just 99 cents!