Today on Paws 4 Thought we welcome fantasy author J.A. Culican. Jamie recently released her first debut novel, a young adult fantasy The Keepers of Dragons.
- Tell us a little bit about yourself, Jamie.
I’m a teacher by day and a writer by night. I live in New Jersey with my husband of eleven years and my four young children. I spend my evenings at home, with my family, watching Harry Potter and Star Wars. When not at home you can find me rooting for my children on the field hockey or soccer field.
My inspiration to start writing came from my children and their love for all things magical. I invented bedtime stories for them featuring dragons and my oldest daughter begged me to turn them into a series. And from this The Keeper of Dragons was born.
- When did you first start writing?
I’ve always enjoyed writing. However, I just started writing with the idea of actually publishing a few years ago.
- What attracts you to writing fantasy?
The magic! The chance to create a whole new world and share it with others.
- Who are your favorite authors?
J.K. Rowling! In high school I used to stand in line at midnight to get her new releases J
- What inspires you to write?
My kids. They love all thing magical and fantastical! I hope to keep that love alive for as long as possible.
Here’s Jamie’s inspirations along with resident canine, Yankee.
- Tell us a little about The Keeper of the Dragons?
This story evolved from bedtime stories I told my kids. It is about a boy, Cole who finds out at 18 that he is a dragon, but not just any dragon. Cole is the Keeper of Dragons and is tasked with keeping all true beings safe.
- Who is your favorite literary dragon (outside of your own book)?
Elliott from Pete’s Dragon. He becomes a protector and father/mother figure to young Pete.
- What are you currently reading?
A Bond of Venom and Magic by, Karen Tomlinson
- What do you like to do to relax?
Read! Believe it or not it’s hard to find time to actually read!
- What super power would you most like to have?
To fly for sure!
- What are you currently working on?
I am editing a companion novella and writing Book 2 of The Keeper of Dragon series.
- Would you like to share a favorite snippet of your writing?
This is from book 2, completely unedited J
“Jericho in full fledge smoky dragon mode frightened me.”
- How can readers connect with you? You can find me just about everywhere!!